Powers and Functions of Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning
Powers and functions of Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning have been specified by the republican decree No: 12 for the year 2001 as follows:-
In the field of National Economy Management and programs of development
First: Drawing up strategies, economic and financial management policies and development programs.
Second: employing techniques and modern scientific approaches to rationalize the performance and perfection of financial and economic management.
Third: leading development in the country.
Fourth: flow up economic performance in the light of internal and external political and economic changes and correcting its progress according to transitional strategic objectives.
In the field of financial and economic planning:
First: Establishing coordination and integration between financial economic managements, and development planning to maintain consistence and achieve executive procedures.
Second: Flow up effective techniques, approaches and institutional frameworks with coordination and integration of plans and development programs on local, federal and sector levels to serve national objectives.
Third: adopting effective tracking systems, analysis, evaluation of state and federal programs and plans, emerging the comparative evaluation, results, and shortcomings of periodic reports to meet social and economic standards and indicators.
In the field of Financial Management:
First: Drawing up and implementingstrategies, financial, developmental and monetary policies according to a rational financial management.
Second: introducing techniques and modern tools in preparing and managing public budget systems.
Third: Drawing up standards and the necessary guidelines to ensure resource improvement.
Fourth: Establishing new policies, techniques, methods and diversity of public revenues resources, and improving collection efficiency.
Fifth: working to create financial equilibrium by revenues increasing and rationalizing public expenditure.
In the field of financial and accounting control:
First: drawing up policies, tightening institutional formation of Accounting and Financial Control Bureau, suggesting draft laws, drawing up the necessary guidelines and regulations to ensure and realize the state control over public money.
Second: Supporting and activating Accounting Apparatus to enable annual accounts preparation and closures on timely manner, activating general auditing, ensuring public assets control, and resources in organized records by employing modern methods.
Third: Developing capacities, accounting abilities and internal auditing.
In the field of external financial and economic cooperation
First: Drawing up loans’ strategies, policies and standards.
Second: agreeing upon economic and financial cooperation agreements made for ministries, states, and corporations.
Third: Drawing up strategies, principles, and systems to manage external debts and flow its implementation to reduce burdens of liabilities and debts payment.
Fourth: Raising capacity of external economic dealing on negotiation skills, management and implementation.
Fifth: Representing Sudan in international, regional Financial and Economic Institutions’ annual meetings.
Sixth: Any other task by council of ministers.
Main Bureaus affiliated to the minister:
- Chamber of Taxation
- Excises and Customs General Administration
- National Accounts Chamber
- Technical Committee for Disposals of Public Sector Facilities
- Sudan Currency Printing press
- Khartoum Security Market
- General Corporation for supervision and control of insurance
- Strategic Stock Corporation
- General Administration for Internal Auditing
- National Fund for Development and Reconstruction
- Legal adviser office
- Public Information office
- Protocol and public Relations Management
- Economic Security Unit
General Administrations which affiliate to Under-secretary
- General Administration for Finance and Budget
- General Administration for development
- General Administration for Planning, Studies, and Economic Policies.
General Administration for International financial Cooperation.
- General Administration for Public Corporations and government companies
- General Administration for Procurement, Contract, and Disposal of Surplus.
- General Administration for Services, administrative and financial Affairs.
- General Administration for Revenues.
Units which affiliate to under-secretary:
- Financial and Economic Studies Academy
- Information Technology Center
- Executive and Technical Offices
- Internal Auditing Unit
- Unit for procurement and allocation ofgovernment vehicles
Senior officials of the ministry:
- He is the first responsible in the ministry, member of council of ministers and answerable to the president of republic and council of ministers and National Assembly.
- They assist the minister in performing his duty especially entrusted to them and each one can work as acting minister in his absence.
- Giving the necessary advices on the following areas:-
- Aggregate Economic Policies
- Internal and External Debts
- Poverty strategy (to be appointed by African Development Bank).
Under –secretary of Ministry of Finance and National Economy
- He is a senior executive responsible for performance of ministry of Finance and National Economy and answerable to the minister of Finance.
- Economic Sector Rapporteur at the council of ministers.
- Chief of Technical Committee on Economic Sector
- Management of Ministry Headquarter by general administrations and units affiliated to it.